Plot Summary Edit
Official logline Edit
In a distant land, Richard Cypher discovers his true destiny as he, a mysterious young woman, a wise old wizard and a magical sword are all that stand between the evil tyrant Darken Rahl and his quest for total domination.
Episode synopsis Edit
Darken Rahl, a tyrant who wants to expand his empire into the Midlands, sends soldiers to obtain the Book of Counted Shadows, which is in the possession of a Confessor named Kahlan Amnell. Kahlan crosses the magical boundary into Westland, a land of no magic, in search of a wizard. In Westland, Kahlan meets Richard Cypher, a woodsman who helps her escape the soldiers. Kahlan finds the wizard, Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander, and insists that he take her to the Seeker. Richard, who was sent by his father to Zedd, meets them and discovers that he is the Seeker, the person prophesied to defeat Rahl. One of the soldiers, Fane, kills Richard's father and takes the Book of Counted Shadows from Richard.
- Craig Horner as Richard Cypher
- Bridget Regan as Kahlan Amnell
- Bruce Spence as Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander
- Jay Laga'aia as Dell Brandstone
- Craig Parker as Darken Rahl
- Andrew Robertt as Ranssyn Fane
- Jeffrey Thomas as George Cypher
- Kahlan Amnell
- Dell Brandstone (A.K.A. Chase)
- Emma Brandstone
- Laura Brandstone (First appearance)
- George Cypher
- Michael Cypher
- Richard Cypher
- Ranssyn Fane (First appearance)
- Darken Rahl
- Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander
Organizations and titles Edit
Behind the scenes Edit
- The characters of Ranssyn Fane and Laura Brandstone were created especially for the television series, and have no role in the overall continuity of the Sword of Truth series.
- The murder of George Cypher takes place quite differently in Wizard's First Rule, than it does in this episode; indeed, it is Ranssyn Fane who murders Cypher, rather than Darken Rahl himself. In addition, Cypher survives his wounds long enough for his son, Richard, to find him.