- “Nothing is ever easy.”
- ―Most wizards
There is no recorded history to who was the first wizard, the most information we have is back three thousand years to the great war period.
The most famous and essential act of magic ever performed by the wizards was the creation of the Confessors and the Seekers. The Confessors and the Seekers are two "weapons" meant to perserve the truth at all costs, giving justice and order the chance to defeat infamy and evil. The magic used to create these individuals and their various tools like the Sword of Truth is some of the most powerful ever seen.
There were two types of wizards: those born with the gift and those born with the calling. Wizards with the gift are stronger than wizards who simply have the calling, as it is natural to the gifted. A gifted wizard is required in teaching one with the calling as well. That gifted wizard can enhance the spark of the gift within a man with the calling wishing to be a wizard.
Gifted wizards are able to use either one or two sides of magic. Wizards of old were born with both Additive and Subtractive Magic. As time went on, and because of the actions of some traitorous wizards in the last great war, it became less common for wizards to be born with the gift of both sides, until eventually, Subtractive Magic became extinct.
Wizards use the world and the elements around them to invoke magic. Additive magic allows them to enhance, add to, manipulate, or multiply something or some effect to create otherwise impossible phenomena. While Subtractive allows them to remove something from existence by sending it to the underworld. The most commonly recognized power of wizard is wizard's fire, a powerful, liquid ball of flame that burns anything it comes in contact with. Even the drops from this liquid fire are deadly and have a life of their own.
For some spells they use a wizard's rock, which helps them invoke the magic. Zedd had a wizard's rock which he used for some magic spells, such as putting up the barriers.
A wizard is capable of things beyond that of a sorceress, due to the fact that male Hans are naturally more powerful than female Hans. The exceptions are the Sisters of the Dark, because they have stolen the Han from a Wizard and have added it to their own Han.
All Wizards sleep with their eyes open. They also have peculiar and erratic eating habits.
Wizards are closely affiliated with the Confessors, and are bound to them in loyalty and guidance similarly to the way they are bounds to Seekers.
The Wizard Order Edit
Not much is known about how wizards teach and learn, but what is known is that there is an order to the wizards. A wizard of the First Order is the highest of this order, in command of all other wizards and are born with the gift. Wizards of the Second and Third Order only have the calling. Certain requirements must be met in order for a Wizard of the Third Order to progress to the Second Order.
The wizards invest most of their time and energy in the protection of and collaboration with the Confessors, whose order they created to preserve justice and truth in the Midlands. A wizard is always assigned to be the traveling companion and protector of a Confessor leaving Aydindril to take a confession or perform her duties in some other fashion.
All wizards are meant to guide their lives and actions with the Wizard's Rules, of which there are ten written and one unwritten. Wizard's Rules give wisdom on life, people, and morality, and to be able to understand and use them is a sign of great power. For example, Richard Rahl's ability to use Wizard's First Rule, "people are stupid," against Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander, allowed Zedd to determine that Richard was gifted.
First Wizard Edit
First Wizard is the title given to the wizard with the ability to pass all the tests to become a member of the First Order and to have more power than any other member of that class. He is the most senior-ranking wizard and has the authority to order any other wizard. The First Wizards Enclave is a huge office reserved for the First Wizard only. The First Wizard resides in Aydindril, in the Wizard's Keep.
Types of wizards Edit
War Wizard Edit
- For more information: War Wizard
A War Wizard is a wizard that was born with the gifts of both Additive Magic and Subtractive Magic. War Wizards can use their Han on instinct alone, and there is very little control that they can have over their magic. Only War Wizards who understand Wizard's Eleventh Rule can use magic by choice. Many years before the time of the books a vast majority of wizards were born with both additive and subtractive magic but they usually were only proficient in one or two types of magic. Before Richard Rahl was born, there hadn't been a war wizard born for three thousand years. Baraccus was the only other mentioned War Wizard.
- For more information: Prophecy
A Prophet is a wizard that also has the special gift of prophecy. Prophets get visions of the future from time to time and translated those visions to words or other physical representations so that future generations can heed the warnings. Many, including the Sisters of the Light considered prophecy to be dangerous and not for the ungifted to hear.
A Crafter uses the gift to create items or trinkets. Jedidiah focused on crafting and created the sword wielded by Lilliana against Richard in Stone of Tears.
Makers, even back during the first great war, were rare and feared by many. They were able to think outside all the rules about magic to create new spells. Without Makers, magic would become stagnant, there would be no progress because every other Wizard thinks within the confines of the rules about magic which they know are true. Makers do not break these rules, they merely find new ways of doing things that are then taken and new rules for those particular forms of new magic are created. Makers were the ones who created many of the weapons used in the Great War. A Maker is just a specific manifestation of the gift in some Wizards. War Wizards also exhibit this manifestation. Known Makers: Merrit, Barracus, Richard.
Known wizards Edit
- Hannis Arc
- Tobias Brogan † (Killed by Lunetta.)
- Byron † (Killed by Nicci.)
- Ludwig Dreier † (Killed by Kahlan Amnell.)
- Giller † (Died to protect Rachel.)
- Gyles † (Killed by Ludwig Dreier.)
- Jedidiah † (Killed by Verna)
- Kronos † (Killed by Nicci.)
- Lyle †
- Nicholas † (Killed by Richard while he was outside his body spying on people.)
- Perry (student) † (Killed by Pasha.)
- Darken Rahl † (Killed by the boxes of Orden wielded by Richard Rahl.)
- Nathan Rahl (gift of Prophecy.)
- Panis Rahl † (Killed by Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander.)
- Richard Rahl (War Wizard) † (Killed by Nicci by his request.)
- Neville Ranson † (Killed by Kahlan Amnell.)
- Slagle † (Killed by Kahlan Amnell.)
- Samantha's father † (Killed by Irena.)
- Samantha's uncle † (Killed by Irena.)
- Thomas †
- Warren (gift of Prophecy) † (Assassination.)
- Sam Weber † (Killed by Ranson to get Subtractive Magic.)
- Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander (First Wizard) † (Killed by Irena.)
- Zeddicus Zu'l Zorander's father †
Wizards from the Great War Edit
- Joseph Ander †
- Baraccus (First Wizard; War Wizard) † (Killed himself for two reasons 1) So he couldn't be questioned as to why the Moons went red again after his return, because he had to counter what Lothain had done. 2) If he would have lived his wife, Magda Searus would not have become a Confessor other wise and it was important that she did.)
- Cadell † (Killed by Counselman Sadler.)
- Clay †
- Guymer †
- Hambrook †
- James †
- Lothain † (Spy and traitor killed by Elder Cadel.)
- Merrit † (Protector to Magda Searus and later husband going on to become First Wizard.)
- Alric Rahl †
- Kaja-Rang †
- Ricker †
- Sol Sadler †
- Quinn (Kolo) † (Sealed in the room with the Sliph.)
- Weston †
See also Edit
- List of Spells that a wizard can cast
- Wizard's First Rule (First appearance)
- Stone of Tears
- Blood of the Fold
- Temple of the Winds
- Soul of the Fire
- Faith of the Fallen
- Pillars of Creation
- Naked Empire
- Debt of Bones
- The First Confessor The Legend of Magda Searus
- The Omen Machine
- The Third Kingdom
- Severed Souls
- Legend of the Seeker